Saturday, November 20, 2010

I've come to terms that I need a head gasket... So how much is the damage??? :(?

I poste about 2 hours ago about my 92' Jeep Cherokee Laredo and how it has oil in the coolant. After the 6 great answers I got, I've come to terms that it's probably a head gasket. Along with the head gasket, I'll need to flush out the oil out of the coolant too. I'm trying to find out how much is too much as opposed to how much cause I know its probably different everywhere. I would just sell it as is and get a dependable sedan, but it just can't happen. I need a few other things done (oil change, cv joints, etc.) but I want to get the important **** done. It's a straight 6 engine, so i believe it's only got 1 gasket.I%26039;ve come to terms that I need a head gasket... So how much is the damage??? :(?
There is a reason the gasket failed, and it should be fixed also. Plan on getting the head milled to correct the warp. Might as well just give it a valve job.

You might just want to get a complete engine from a salvage yard. Get them to check the compression first. This would prove faster and maybe give you fewer surprises. You might find lower prices then those at this site:

http://www.car-part.com/

But it will give you an idea of the cost.I%26039;ve come to terms that I need a head gasket... So how much is the damage??? :(?
u r looking at about1,200 to 1,500 dollarsI%26039;ve come to terms that I need a head gasket... So how much is the damage??? :(?
The straight (inline) six cylinder from that model is pretty straightforward. Not a great deal of stuff to remove to get to that cylinder head. If you have not suffered engine damage due to the coolant in the oil, I'd think $300 might cover that job.I%26039;ve come to terms that I need a head gasket... So how much is the damage??? :(?
If you are fixing only the head gasket...and provided the head is in good shape...you are probably looking at between $300 and $600 depending on the garage you take it to. they all charge different labor rates so that will be the factor you are looking at.I%26039;ve come to terms that I need a head gasket... So how much is the damage??? :(?
you might have someone qualified to check if the head or block/cylinders/etc. are not cracked first-you might be wasting money altogether for a non -repairable motor